Published: 18.11.2021

Permits for Research in the Faroe Islands

Researchers from abroad may need one or more permits when conducting research in the Faroe Islands, depending on the area they want to explore and the type of research they plan to conduct.

There is no central coordination of research applications in the Faroe Islands. EURAXESS Faroe Islands has set up a survey of permits needed for doing research in the Faroe Islands. The survey is available at the EURAXESS Faroe Islands portal.

Researchers need to ensure among other things that all research involving personal data must comply with the rules in the Faroese Data Protection Act. Field work, e.g. collection of samples and setting up measuring equipment, requires permission from the land owner. In many cases a permit to conduct research will be needed from the authority/agency responsible for the relevant research area.